Friday, August 3, 2012

ARTS: An Interview with the Artist: Courtney Mattison Talks with Water Citizen About Our Changing Seas

Artist Courtney Mattison spoke with Water Citizen about Our Changing Seas and her interests in combining her background in biology and art to address ocean issues.


WatCit: What interested you in this particular aspect of marine life for this piece? "Our Changing Seas" is a major work at any stage of a career, especially at the beginning, so it would be interesting to know the particular inspirations for coral. Were there other ideas that you compared it to in the initial stages, or was there something about coral, either from the biological or aesthetic point of view, that called to you from the start?



Mattison: I have been mesmerized by the bizarre forms, colors, and behaviors of coral reef organisms since my first exposure to them as a child. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to augment my academic background in marine ecology and ceramic sculpture by exploring many different coral reef regions including Hawaii, the British Virgin Islands and Thailand, and doing fieldwork along the Great Barrier Reef. When I first began sculpting marine flora and fauna in high school, I did so as a way to better understand their anatomy and interactions. The flamboyant features of corals, anemones, crinoids and other reef-dwelling invertebrates particularly inspire my work because of the paradox that these faceless plant-like creatures are actually complex animals. As I became increasingly immersed in coral reef biology and had a chance to document ecological changes in coral reefs in the field, I realized what trouble reefs are in and what a tragedy it would be to lose these incredible ecosystems. This discovery was what led me to begin using my art to share the bizarrely beautiful nature of coral reefs and their ecological importance with the public. It is my hope that my work will inspire enough people to care about protecting reefs that it will catalyze a public and political movement to save reefs while we still can. Our Changing Seas is my first major work towards this goal and is intended as both an educational tool and a work of fine art with a confrontational yet hopeful message.



Side note: The large scale of this piece was a result of my desire to create a high impact installation with guidance from a few of my artist friends and colleagues including my professors and classmates at the Rhode Island School of Design (where I took classes while at Brown). They suggested that I "go bigger" and create an installation that would transform the space and challenge viewers to think and explore for themselves.



WatCit: Could you tell us a little about whom you worked with? You mentioned in the pamphlet and elsewhere that you interviewed scientists and others. How did that research process go for you? What were the main points from those conversations that really informed your work as it went along?



Mattison: Our Changing Seas was the culmination of my master's thesis in Environmental Studies at Brown University with coursework at the Rhode Island School of Design. When beginning my program, I knew that I wanted to combine my interests in marine conservation biology and ceramic sculpture to create a major work of art, but I also wanted input from the experts. My advisors encouraged me to interview top marine researchers, artists inspired by nature, and other environmental leaders such as advocates and policy professionals to learn their opinions about the potential for art to inspire coral reef conservation. I used trends in their responses to inform the design of Our Changing Seas.



In my conversations with marine researchers and professionals, I discovered a trend in their responses regarding the three major threats to coral reefs: carbon dioxide emissions (which cause climate change and ocean acidification), overfishing, and land-based sources of pollution. These three threats are incorporated into the design of Our Changing Seas with CO2 emissions represented by the bleached section and overfishing and pollution represented by the slimy green algae that smothers reefs affected by too many nutrients and a lack of herbivorous fish and urchins.



While all three interview groups agreed that art has the potential to inspire people to care more about reefs, artists tended to be the least optimistic that art could lead to actual stewardship. One major trend in all three groups' responses was that "doom and gloom" messages are ineffective and I should focus on representing the threats while suggesting tangible solutions and expressing hope for the future. Quotes from my interview participants displayed on the website that accompanies Our Changing Seas are intended to help in this regard (See www.ourchangingseas.org).





WatCit: When I looked at the sculpture in the lobby I was particularly struck by the way light played upon it. What creative decisions did you make regarding light as a visual element of "Our Changing Seas?"  Sunlight filtering through the water (or sometimes being blocked) can have a significant impact on marine life. Was that part of the message you were trying to get across?



Mattison: I definitely considered the way light plays upon the reef landscape through the water. I wanted to create an environment that made viewers feel as if they were flying over a coral reef the way scuba divers feel as they drift along. I tried to highlight each of the three sections with light so that viewers could consider the significance of each separately and as a whole while discovering new details among the crevices and shadows.





What have been some of the reactions to the sculpture?  Between the bleaching of the coral, trade in threatened species and other encroachments reefs and coral are under serious threat.  How do you hope that your sculpture will address the problem and have any conservationists pointed to it as part of their efforts? 



I hope that by highlighting the major threats to coral reefs - climate change and ocean acidification, overfishing, and land-based sources of pollution - along with the fragile beauty of a healthy reef, Our Changing Seas leaves viewers with a deeper sense of curiosity about our oceans, a broader understanding of the threats reefs face, and a stronger sense of urgency to protect and restore them before it's too late.



It's interesting to hear people's responses to Our Changing Seas. Some people just can't believe that anyone would make a sculpture that huge and it makes me happy when they realize that I worked so hard to create it because reefs are just THAT important! I have been especially pleased with responses from marine policy professionals and scientists who already have the background knowledge to quickly understand the message of the piece, recognize its transition from healthy to degraded, and explain it to others. Dr. Jane Lubchenco - Undersecretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere and NOAA Administrator - has been an outstanding proponent for the piece and I am honored to have her encouragement. In fact, we made a video about Our Changing Seas while the piece was at the U.S. Department of Commerce last year. (See: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=226731507384655).





WatCit: Could you tell us a little more about your other works? I've seen your c.v. and have visited "Artists for Reefs Gallery,"  but would like to ask what would you point out about your other pieces.



Mattison: I have been creating marine-inspired sculpture for the past ten years or so, but Our Changing Seas is certainly my largest work to date. My most recent project (directly following Our Changing Seas) is entitled Hope Spots: Bringing into view our oceans' most vital ecosystems. It is based on Dr. Sylvia Earle's wish for the public to use all means at their disposal to ignite a movement to protect and restore 18 of the world's most ecologically important habitats - what she calls "Hope Spots." (See more: http://www.courtneymattison.com/Courtney_Mattison/Hope_Spots.html). One third of the proceeds from the sale of this work benefits the Sylvia Earle Alliance / Mission Blue and their Hope Spots initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment